Bayou City: An Angler’s Paradise
The fourth-largest city in the U.S. has a secret hiding in plain sight: All that water means it’s a fabulous place for fly fishing. Travel no further than to the city’s “concrete flats” to stalk carp with Houston’s iconic skyline as a backdrop. Just outside the metro area, wade in the secluded spring-fed waters of the Pineywoods to find spotted bass, largemouth bass, and a variety of panfish. Launch a canoe or kayak in nearby lakes and backwaters to search for gar and bowfin. Add some adventure with a trip to Village Creek, a fascinating biozone where bass and catfish thrive along with four varieties of carnivorous plants and 35 species of orchids. With Fly Fishing Houston & Southeastern Texas as your guide, discover the rewards for anglers this unique region offers, from inside the city limits to the countryside beyond.
A look inside
* 38 detailed on-the-water descriptions of “wades” located on 12 unique streams and waterways
* Descriptions of access points for paddles in local lakes
* Suggestions for creating personalized fly boxes for southeastern Texas.
* More than 300 color photographs, including close-ups of the key sport fish available
* QR codes supplying GPS coordinates for all of the wade locations
* Suggestions for the best gear to get started fly fishing
* Local angler-friendly breweries and fly shops
* Background about local historical events
* Insider tips for sneaking up on fish